10.16.2010

Oats!

I don't know about you, but I love breakfast. Nothing beats a big brunch with family or sipping on a cafe au lait and pastry. (even better if you're in Rome. I'm sorry, I digress) But even in your own kitchen (or at work!), on a typical weekday morning, you can be treated to a great breakfast. A breakfast, that I have grown quite fond of and truly look forward to!! Let me walk you through the easy steps of an awesome, healthy, and filling breakfast!!
My breakfasts are very similar day to day, but that's because they taste SO good and are so filling. Filling, but not in a 'Im going to pop because I had 2 of those big donuts' kind of way. You know the feeling. ugh.

Start by setting out your dry ingredients the night before. You will save so much time. Sometimes on Sundays I even package 5 little bags up for the week ahead.
Looks like a lot, but it's not. Think health!!
Oats + flax seed + chia seed.
Banana + peanut or almond butter.
Milk (I used almond) + water.
You are truly fueling your body for the day.
On medium heat combine the following:
1/4 cup oats (I use both steel cuts and old-fashioned for a more complex texture)
1 T chia seed
1-2 T ground flax
1/3 cup water
1/3 milk
1/2 sliced banana

Now go get dressed or finish getting your things together. Check back in about 5 minutes and once you see the first simmering bubbles, start stirring and whipping. After a minute of whipping you will have light airy oats with pillows of warm bananas.
Plop half into a tupperware, add 1/2 T nut butter, top with remaining oats, and top with more nut butter.

Now is the time to get creative :)I added peaches and granola here...
Granola, blackberries, and apples here...
and apples and almonds. Kath at Katheats.com does a great tutorial on her whipped oats, which is exactly where I first learned of this great breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment