2.01.2011

Tomato Tomahto

Iowa winters are cold! and dark! which really affects the way food photography looks... After not posting for nearly a month, I've decided to update a few of my favorite meals for, perhaps, your inspiration and so I remember these great combinations and ideas for future dinners.

Ironically, all of these include fresh tomatoes... and last night as I was making a homemade burrito bowl, I was disappointed at how rarely I have and use fresh tomatoes in the winter. Annnd here I am blogging about 3 recipes that include fresh tomatoes. What?!

first up—Salsa!
Tangy, salty, and spicy! I crave nothing more than mexican during the winter months and this salsa is an easy one to whip up in the evenings. Don't forget the lime juice, cilantro, and beans for added protein!


Whole Wheat Gnocchi with Fresh Tomato sauce
Trader Joe's has the best inexpensive, soft, doughy gnocchi around. Top with cherry tomato+basil+and plenty of spices for a simple and filling dinner. Can't wait to recreate this one soon!

Spaghetti with Mushroom Marinara
Tomato paste has so many health benefits and is packed with flavor! Using it in store bought marinara sauce, along with plenty of sauteed mushrooms+tomatoes+basil is a fast way to pump up your sauce. I loved this dinner!
What types of food have you been missing these winter months??

No comments:

Post a Comment