2.25.2010

ch ch chia

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I have the best job. I just love it! Yesterday (and tomorrow) we are working on a photo shoot at the gorgeous Salisbury House, which is a local castle/museum in downtown Des Moines. Here's there site -- Salisbury House. We're working on a Halloween photo shoot which is turning out beautifully. Yesterday when I was sent out to find different olives for our martinis I stopped by Gateway Market. I love that place! I found my olives at the olive bar aaaaand I also found something I have been looking for for a while...

Chia Seeds!! Nearly all of the food blogs I read use these tiny seeds in some way or another and I've been so excited to try them!
-they are the same seed used for chia pets
-these little power houses have been used for centuries by south west Indians and Mexicans.

-known as "running food" as they are a high energy endurance food
-when combined with water they create a gel (from its high soluble fiber content)
-this same gel-forming phenomen takes place inside the stomach by creating a physical barrier between carbohydrates and digestive enzymes which slows the conversion of carbs to sugar
-prolongs hydration
-and the list goes on and on and on.... I sprinkled 1/2 tbsp of chia seeds on my peach yogurt this morning and topped it with a sliced banana, sliced almonds (my favorite!) and some fresh pineapple. It was awesome!

The chia seeds added a little crunch/pop, kind of like poppy seeds, and little flavor. I'm so glad I found them!
A few quick things--

TLC Mediterranean Bruschetta crackers are awesome. They taste great and they are healthy crackers with lots of whole grain. give 'em a try!
I picked up a Larabar yesterday at Gateway Market, too! IGE loves her larabars and I have been wanting to try them! and lemon bar flavored?? yummm!
Check out the ingredient list... lots of healthy fats.
Have a great day! It's almost Friday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment